Gotta Garden

Monday, July 13, 2009

Daylilies....

Time to get back with things. The daylilies are now past peak and I am no longer taking hundreds of pictures each day. The lates are beginning as the mids finish up...still plenty of blooms, but not like it was even a week ago. I've been busy pollen dabbing and look to have a fair amount of pods starting. The days fly by this time of year.

At some point, I'll organize the seedling photos and have lots and lots of tour photos...plenty to keep me busy.

Because I think I should just jump in (having missed my daily daylily postings), here are some photos from the last few days...

SYMPHONY OF PRAISE...


...try not to notice the spent bloom at the bottom....there will probably be others as I don't like to take them off until the pod grows to a sufficient size...and then they'll fall off easily.

LOVELY PINK LADY...


...has been outstanding...loads of blooms...so far, though, I haven't been able to set a pod (I keep trying) as the blooms are heavy when they start to decline...I have been using the pollen from this one on various unusual forms/spidery types.

LARGER THAN LIFE...


...looking particularly nice...maybe it heard it is on the outta here list...

A poly from TUPAC AMARU...


....this one has really shown me (once again) the value and importance of letting a daylily settle in (three years)...what scapes it has this year (the rain has helped)...

SUNRISE SUNSET BEAUTIFUL...


ETERNAL MEMORIES...


...definitely on the keeper list as I make unfortunate but necessary decisions about who goes and who stays...

PALACE GARDEN BEAUTY...


...has really benefited from being moved, unlike most who pout for a bit when moved....I mistakenly thought I might move it out last year...but am glad I decided to keep some. I have an interesting seedling out of PGB.

STRUNG OUT...


...I like 'em big and STRUNG OUT delivers...another view...


SOFTLY AND TENDERLY...


...a new one this year, lovely gentle coloring...looking forward to it settling in...right now it is in the pot ghetto...

CLAUDINE'S CHARM...


....also new this year and also in the pot ghetto....another one that shows much promise...

BIRD BATH PINK...


I'M AN AMERICAN...


....this one is usually perfect for the Fourth of July, but was later blooming this year...

VICTORIAN LACE....


MASK AND METAPHOR....


....think I should have/could have waited a bit later in the day to take MASK AND METAPHOR's picture....probably have one somewhere...

MADIBA MAGIC poly....


LAVENDER KINGDOM...


FESTIVAL OF LIGHTS...


...another new one this year....this one actually gets some teeth, knobs, etc. in the heat..

DENA MARIE...


....finally some blooms from this one....DENA MARIE'S SISTER has been a good daylily, nice to see what DENA MARIE has to offer....I can tell this one should be even better with some time.

ON THE WEB....


...okay, this one took itself off the outta here list, has been terrific this year...

SHEER EXCITEMENT...



LOLA BRANHAM...


LAVENDER CRINKLES...


...beginning to see some of the crinkling, at last....another one that goes on and off the list...

FOLLOW THE FASHION...


....had about given up on this one....might keep it around another year...

Ending with DARLA ANITA...


....this is actually a pretty good picture of ole DARLA ANITA....who is perpetually not on my good list....I don't know, the color doesn't grab me at all, although she did look a bit pinker (which is good) than usual...

It was pretty easy to put DARLA ANITA on the outta here list...and a couple of her friends (relations)....give me good color, rich color in just about any shade but drab....just my opinion...lots of folks like this one....see, that's what so great about daylilies, something for every taste....

If I can get it in gear (doubtful), I have enough pictures to keep going endlessly...ha...

4 comments:

Carol Michel said...

I like 'Lovely Pink Lady', she'd go well with my new spider/unusual form daylilies that I got a few weeks ago.

Carol, May Dreams Gardens

Shady Gardener said...

Well. If I had to pick Just One, I'd actually pick your Palace Garden Beauty (aren't you now doubly glad you kept this??) Although Mask Metaphor and Dena Marie are both extra special, too! You have so many distinctive varieties. Wish I could live near your discard pile! ;-) Have a great day.

Colleen Wms said...

Wow you have some fantastic varieties. Thanks for sharing.
Of course I do like the unusual ones best, eternal memories, lovely pink lady, and the web.
I agree with shady gardener and would love to live near your discard pile!!

Anonymous said...

You have some beautiful daylilies. I noticed your picture of Lola Branham did not have a comment underneath. I just acquired one this year, so I haven't had a chance to see it perform yet. How do you rate the daylily Lola Branham?

Related Posts with Thumbnails