Gotta Garden

Tuesday, August 04, 2009

What Was I Thinking!

So this nice man comes to my door and asks me if I could use some cypress mulch. Apparently, my brain only heard the word 'mulch' and nothing else.... This tree company was taking out a couple of trees on another street and needed to unload their 'mulch' to save travel time to get another truck as the homeowner had decided to take out additional trees..,


I truly had no idea how much one of those trucks holds! What I have is a mountain....motor home size...of wood chips and branches...


DD and I made an attempt to sift and bag some of it, but quickly gave up. Now, I'm in the process of hauling it to the backyard as fresh wood chips are not really what you want to put in your garden beds (consumes lots of nitrogen as the chips break down..). I mean, it will be mulch...in a couple years...lol.

I figure I might have most of it gone by Christmas...I hope.

7 comments:

Shady Gardener said...

Where in the world will you put it while it "ripens?" That's a wonderful pile and will be greatly appreciated when you're ready to use it!! :-)

Carol Michel said...

It might be good in paths, if you have paths in the garden...

My back hurts looking at that pile...

Colleen Wms said...

Oh I'm glad he knocked on your door and not mine or I might be sitting with a pile of that in my driveway! So sorry.

Thoughts on Life and Millinery. said...

A bonfire might be a quick fix...

Sylvana said...

That is enormous. I think I'd just let it ripen there and park around it. I bet it sure smells nice!

Gotta Garden said...

Well, you guys are good sports about it! Remind me though, to never do this again...yikes.

Shady Gardener, I just don't know...after I get it in the areas that I think can handle it, the rest I'm thinking I'll just dump into the wooded corner of my backyard.

You're right, Carol...and I'm thinking of trying it on my hill...I'm a bit worried it will slide down, though, so I'm also trying to add larger bricks/pavers on the lower side so that maybe...just maybe, it might stay where I want it to!

My back aches, my foot aches, muscles ache all over...I could go on...lol...oh well.

Colleen...so funny...I had thought to split it with a neighbor, but she wasn't home. When I told her later, she said exactly the same thing...glad she wasn't home! Ha.

I'm laughing, Jill, as that is better than crying!...worse yet, my same neighbor/friend and I had a good laugh over the thought that I might actually have to pay someone to take it away!

Sylvana, it actually did smell pretty nice...at first...like a Christmas tree...now, there's not so much fragrance...

Unknown said...

cimmaron rose is so gorgeous!

Related Posts with Thumbnails