Gotta Garden

Thursday, March 11, 2010

Fragrant Shrubs Starting to Bloom...

One of my favorite shrubs is about to burst into bloom...the backyard daphne...


It's especially nice this year as the one I have in the front yard has become a vole victim. The cats have dispatched the vole...but, I'm guessing it feasted on the front yard one for a few weeks while we had all that snow....shoot, and that one was planted with vole block. At any rate, I'll enjoy this one....nothing like the fragrance...Daphne Aureomarginata....

Daphne Alden's Regal Red will also be blooming soon...unfortunately, it suffered a split in the center of the shrub (heavy snow)...however, it won't be fatal, just will disfigure the shrub.

While we're thinking fragrant shrubs...


...my last witch hazel is blooming. It's the only one I have after last fall's shrub purge...it's nicely fragrant.

The ever faithful Viburnum Pink Dawn is just getting going as well....



Yesterday the first two blooms of an iris reticulata opened...today, a few more...


Even more blooms today on crocus Lilac Beauty...


When I took this one, I was doing so to mark another little patch of crocus starting up....neat, though, to see the little pollinator...


In another area, this crocus seems to have migrated a bit, but I like its placement...

Nearly hidden away by the front steps and under the mushrooms, this hardy cyclamen is blooming...


and, of course, a couple more snowdrops...

Viridapice


and a double, Nivalis Flore Pleno...just starting to unfurl...


Still no daffodils....rain expected for the next couple of days....maybe next time I'll have some daffs...at last...to show.

7 comments:

Southern Lady said...

Just found your blog through Randy and Meg. I love you pictures! Hope you don't mind if I follow. I have a winter daphne that just started blooming. I hate to hear that voles like them- I just discovered that I have a some of those little rodents in my yard. I'll have to keep an eye on it. Have a wonderful day!

Jeane said...

I love your flower pictures. My crocuses are just blooming, too. What is the ground-hugging plant next to that crocus by the rock? I have that in my yard too, but don't know what it is.

Shady Gardener said...

Spring! :-) Thank you for sharing your sights.

Crystal said...

Wow, it's hard to believe we live in the same state! Almost nothing is that close to blooming up here in Northern Virginia, though I do see the Daffodils/Tulips poking up and I just noticed yesterday that our Pieris Japonica shrubs look "a bit" close to blooming. I'm hoping by end of month to finally be seeing some flowers!

Randy Emmitt said...

Our first iris reticulata bit the dust today in the rain. Still more to come. Really enjoyed your lilac crocuses.

Annie said...

Love the little crocus, and I'm a big fan of Daphne too.

Gotta Garden said...

Hello Southern Lady: I would be delighted! Sorry you have voles...big sigh. I have lost several shrubs to them over the years, unfortunately.

Hi Jeane: It should be Sedum spurium 'John Creech'...from Plant Delights; however, I am prone to impulse buys, so it could possibly be another. I do like the tiny creeping sedums.

At last, Shady Gardener, at last!

Maybe by now you are seeing more, Crystal; I hope so. Depending on where you are, you may be more Zone 6ish...At any rate, once things get going, everyone seems to catch up pretty quick.

Hi Randy: So sorry to hear that. Glad there are more to come. The rain here seemed hard on the snowdrops...not much else bothers them, though!

Ah, Annie...another fragrance fan! I do love fragrance in the garden and it's pretty hard to top a daphne!

Thank you all for coming by!

Related Posts with Thumbnails