Gotta Garden

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Pre-Spring Blooms....

It was almost dark...and I was tired from an afternoon of weeding and fertilizing...a good kind of tired....I turned around and across the driveway I saw this...


....the first of the Iris Reticulata....they weren't open earlier, so I considered them my little reward...

From a couple of days ago, the first of the crocus, as usual, are the Cream Beauties...


.....I had this wild idea a couple years ago that I would have them on each corner of what I call the tree bed (because it...duh.. had a tree in it that I had taken out)....when will I learn?? (Never)....oh well...at least a couple of the corners are in bloom...I'm not sure all four will ever bloom at the same time, but I continue to hope...


...other crocus are beginning to pop out....


I looked at these (below) with new eyes because they are around a tree that I am having taken out ...I think I will try to save/move them...


More snowdrops come into bloom each day....it occurs to me as I try to photograph them each year that I remember...only when I am trying to catch them just so...how difficult they are....the wind always seem to be blowing as I perch practically on the ground on top of them trying to catch them in focus in between swings....

At any rate, I did manage to snag a few....I'll keep practicing...

Scharlockii


Don's Big Seedling....



S. Arnott...



Limetree...


a little larger...


and Straffan...

I do start to think I am...finally...beginning to have adorable little patches of snowdrops...not that I can ever have enough and I still look forward to the arrival of this year's Temple Nursery choices...

Perhaps I'll actually be able to show some of these little patches....just the earlies are fully in bloom right now.

*****
While out today I found that my local Lowe's had just received some of their early veggies...you know I love growing lettuce ....so, I picked out two varieties (the first ones to be selected...they must have only just arrived). I have seeds and maybe I'll even plant some...lol...to have other varieties. Once you start growing your own lettuce, you will so look forward to it.

Don't forget that St. Patrick's Day is the traditional time to sow your peas...another delicious treat that shouldn't be missed.

3 comments:

Darla said...

What a charming blog you have....love the Crocus, don't believe I have ever seen cream colored ones. I have Snowflakes, cousin to the Snowdrop...the Southern version...

Lona said...

The Irises are just so pretty and so are your crocuses. It is good to see the first sins of spring with these cheery blooms.
Lona

Randy Emmitt said...

Wonderful snowdrops. We need to add them to our garden. Your crocus are lovely too, I just did a posting of all my crocuses and you have crocuses I don't have. Will have to return again!

Related Posts with Thumbnails