Gotta Garden

Sunday, March 07, 2010

USF Botanical Gardens

All work and no play makes for a dull caregiver, if I do say so myself. With that in mind, join me as we enjoy a peaceful time in a lovely Florida garden, the University of South Florida Botanical Gardens.

As you are probably aware, Florida, like a lot of our nation, has experienced some unusual cold this year. Knowing that, I was just looking for some nice views, some color...even green would be nice considering the snow I left in back in Virginia. I was curious about what winter in Florida would be like...

Here we are...


Right next to me in the parking lot was a tiny garden, appropriate for gnomes and faeries. There was some interesting lore here that I'll share with you...












Giant footprints through the tiny garden...



A closer look at those footprints...(that's not your eyes...re: the above picture...)


I think the faeries, for the most part, were too tiny to be seen....but, I guess gnomes are their best friends, maybe?....Anyway, let's head into the main garden...


Here's a bit of color...


After reading this, I'm not sure I'd want to grow one...


Another nice view...


Nice place to stop...


This area is surrounded by camellias, a few of which were in bloom...


And who do we see?...Why, it's Saint Fiacre, the Patron Saint of Gardeners...(but you knew that...)


Buddha's Belly Bamboo...Bambusa ventricosa


Queen's Tears...Billbergia nutans



You can tell I'm really looking for color...lol...


Part of the Herb Garden with nasturtiums in bloom...


Look here, it's Old Bush, a hybrid China Rose....Rosa chinensis



A feel for the spaciousness of the area...


Bromeliads...



More success in my quest for color...



A trumpet tree, glorious in bloom...Tabebuia impetiginosa


I'm guessing here....air plants?


Now, this...was quite distressing to me...this weed was everywhere...and why is it so distressing to me? I have it. Someone sent it to me in a daylily....grrrr...and it is busily trying to take over an ever-increasing section of my backyard. It climbs up levels, I have discovered...

An educational work in progress...


A nice burst of color...


Lovely, lovely view...



Queen Palm syagrus romanzoffiana...


Can you read the name? Cherry Coke...ha.


Screw Palm...Pandanus utilis...leaves used for thatch, baskets and mats...



Some cacti....which reminds me...I didn't post my San Diego pictures...(I am so behind...)...




Found just about everywhere, don't you think?


....pleasant memories of prickly pear margaritas in San Antonio drift through my mind...

Poking into places...


White sand...yep, remember this from growing up....


Wish my fence looked like this...


You can tell it's a beautiful day...


I think it was something like 79 degrees...(in February!)...

Wandering into the orchid house, what should I see? Nostalgic for mine, although this one has a tail...


An eye-popping orchid...




You knew there would be one of these...


But these? They keep bees...


Well, this was fun and I feel renewed. How could one not feel happy in a garden on a beautiful sunny day?

******
You may have noticed that I do not have near my usual...ummm....quantity of pictures. Believe me, I took them. It's just that I have discovered that blogger allows a finite number of pictures. Who knew? I think it was unlimited when I began blogging, but at any rate...I am nearing 70% of my allowable pictures...sigh...something to think about....so, I decided that I would just give a sampling...after all, perhaps someday you'll visit for yourself and can check everything out....

******
Thank you so much for the well wishes regarding my mother. They helped! I am back in VA now (although I do have another Florida garden to share). My sister told me yesterday that she will be moving our mother to SC in less than two weeks.....which is a good thing, something we have been working toward....Mom does face another surgery, but we'll think about that later.

Thanks again....the snow is mostly gone and I have snowdrops and a few crocus blooming! It does feel like spring is coming (with fingers crossed to ward off any dastardly late winter storms...)!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails