Gotta Garden

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Rainy Tuesday

Rainy day here.  I shouldn't be surprised that my two young dogs bring all the wet and mud back inside with them.  Ah youth. 

Excited that February is almost done.  The first of the crocus (yellows for me) are blooming. 






The long foliage hanging over the crocus belongs to sternbergia lutea.  It will disappear soon, not to be seen again until fall. 




Note how the crocus foliage appears snipped.  It is indeed and my guess would be rabbits.  Rotten things.  My cats are getting older (they'll be 12 this spring) and prefer being inside most nights and especially nights like tonight when the weather is unpleasant (cold and windy rain).  I can't blame them; however, it's been many years since I've had to deal with rabbits...thanks to them.  Let's hope they get back on the job soon. 



A couple more, popping out from the old daylily foliage. 

Below, some hardy cyclamen looking a little weather-worn...




Finally, a personal harbinger of spring...larkspur seedlings.  These are offspring of some from the Mary Washington House days.  I look forward to them every year.  There were so many weeds in this area, that I had to really pay attention when weeding not to inadvertenly yank them out, too.



3 comments:

Jan said...

Hi Catherine, How are you liking March so far? You were glad Feb. was over...now, welcome to 'snow country'...LOL! Ya just never know what the weather is going to do next around here...
I have a big problem in my garden with some critter gnawing off the blooms and buds of my hellebores...and I am not very happy about it!! Almost every plant, all but destroyed. So frustrating. I don't know if it's deer or rabbits or squirrels. It is just frustrating sometimes to have to share real-estate with critters:)

Nelson said...

I just love yellow color of crocus. However it varies enormously, although lilac and mauve as well as white are predominant.

Adam said...

I love to grow crocus because they are one of those ‘No care’ plants. You can just put them into the ground and when the spring comes and the snow cover melts, they pop out of the ground and bloom. It is like a sign announcing that winter is over and spring is here.

Related Posts with Thumbnails