Gotta Garden

Saturday, July 24, 2010

Heat Wave...

A nice surprise this morning...a first time seedling blooming! As you can tell, it's blooming out of a box, so all expectations of bud count and branching are delayed. We'll wait to see what it can do in real soil, etc. Still, fun to see, as the season winds down...



This is a cross of Home Wrecker x Jerry Hyatt. If you'd like to see the parents, here's a look at Home Wrecker...and Jerry Hyatt... Interesting, huh! I'm looking forward to seeing it next year.

When I sort through some photos...they're on four different external hard drives right now...making it difficult to find anything...we'll look at some more seedlings. I'm working on consolidating the photos onto one...

Reblooming today and looking especially nice even in this heat...Mount Rainer


Three late bloomers, all by Dan Bachman...(see more by Dan here)

First, the gigantic Mascara Snake...


Next to it, Suzy Cream Cheese...a marker for the season winding down...(like Look Here Mary and Sandra Elizabeth...)


Boogie My Woogie, Baby....hasn't been opening well for me, but did on this bloom....showing what it can do. It's had great scapes this year. I wanted to take it (also) to the NCDC show....it's been having a little trouble opening wide like this picture, but I discovered I could 'help' it...which would be great for showing. So, on the morning of the show, I chose a scape that was awesome and took it into the garage. Once in the bucket, I confidently pushed on a petal to open it a bit wider when...to my dismay....the petal popped right off! Arghhhhhhh. (More on my tale of woe about this show another time)...if only it had looked like this that day. Ha.


It's hard to tell from my pictures, but Mascara Snake is much bigger...much...and is more burgundy to BMWB's more red tone.

All three are very nice lates and I'm happy to grow them.

I've been seeing more than a few of these guys...


Not thrilled about it/them as I think they're responsible for holes like this...


....not just in leaves, mind you....apparently, buds are quite tasty, too.

Self seeded flowers....white petunias and some flowering tobacco...


....growing right next to...almost in the driveway....

....off to work on the ribs (my son's visiting and that means ribs on the grill with his favorite sides like sweet potatoes, baked beans and cornbread).....

....later...

1 comment:

Shady Gardener said...

I really like Spiders... don't have any, yet, though. That will change! :-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails