Gotta Garden

Monday, March 13, 2006

A Tour of Mary Washington's Garden



On Thursdays, I have the pleasure of contributing in some small measure to the upkeep of one of our nation's historic landmarks. This is the home of Mary Washington, George Washington's mother, located in Fredericksburg, Virginia. There are a group of us, Mary's Gardeners, who volunteer our efforts. Some of us are master gardeners earning our volunteer hours required to stay certified and some of us are just "friends of the garden".

We are a diverse group but united in our love of gardening. It is a privilege to be a part of such a group. The Mary Washington House has a horticulturist on staff who directs us, teaches us and even shares the bounty of Mary's garden with us.

My own garden has larkspur, a native columbine, Lycoris squamigera, Japanese roof iris and even a small fig tree from this garden. When I walk my garden, these are reminders of my time there and make me feel connected on a daily basis. What better measure of a garden then that it continues on. I think Mary would be pleased.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails