Gotta Garden

Saturday, April 07, 2007

As for the rest of the garden....

It's not just the daffodils...for instance, here's a crabapple tree in bloom:


and the redbuds are out as well:


Brunnera macrophylla 'Hadspen Cream' is nice right now, although, if you look carefully, you'll see some solid green leaves I have to remove. I fight that with this one. It's also not particularly happy in this spot, so maybe I'll actually get around to moving it this year.


Lungwort 'Diana Clare' (Pulmonaria)



And, 'Mrs. Moon':


This is a new hardy pink cyclamen...it's little flowers were great to see. It was just planted last fall. The plan is for it to join the nearby patch of hardy cyclamen. No sign yet of the new white, also planted last fall.


Korean Spice Viburnum is scenting the air most delightfully:


Soon, Mohawk will join in:


Another of the small bulbs for spring, Puschkinia:


A very reliable tulip for me, Tulipa greigii 'Pinoccchio':



I love growing garlic. This year, with all the daylilies, I've had to reduce my space for garlic and so it is relegated to several small patches. Here's one:


I'm always tickled to come across the Calamintha 'Variegata' (Calamint). It seems like it's not too pleased here, but it perseveres:


Another one I wonder each year if it will return is the Camassia 'Blue Melody'...here it is, though...and I'm glad!


The peonies are racing upward to fill their cages:


Lilies (Lilium...Asiatic, Oriental, Orienpet, and Trumpet) are peeking above the ground:


Summer Snowflakes (which bloom in spring), Leucojum aestivum 'Gravetye Giant':



Did you ever wonder how they open up?

(Wonder no more!)

The lilacs have buds...can't wait to enjoy their fragrance again:



An old fashioned shrub, flowering Pink Almond (Prunus glandulosa) is going strong. It suckers quite freely, making it an easy one to share:



Alstroemeria 'Sweet Laura' has made it through another winter:



Nearby, candy lilies (Pardancanda norissi) are popping up. They grow easily from seed, although it seemed to take two years to bloom, if I recall. I don't mind that new ones spring up here and there:


From out of the basement, another amaryllis:


And, my newest orchid with a complicated name, something like Otaara Hwa Yuan Bay 'Shi Shu' AM/OSROC:


And. to wrap...this is in bloom all over my yard:


Okay...a feeble attempt at humor! This is a compilation of the last week or so. I have a couple of snow pictures (yes, snow!) from today that I'll get to...but, for now...I'm off to work on a post about Belmont...I think you'll enjoy visiting there!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I can smell the viburnums from here, I swear! :) Every time I'm reminded of the scent of those, I wonder why I ever thought that the doublefile viburnum was a better choice.

I love that 'Diana Clare' pulmonaria. I had 'Mrs. Moon' and 'Sissinghurst White' in my old garden and adored them both, but there's something really fun about the 'DC' in the strappy leaves. We have 'Raspberry Splash' (which also has strappy leaves, but is spotted instead of silvered) at the garden center where I'm working part-time, and I get a discount, so I think I may succumb to it... :)

Gotta Garden said...

Hi Blackswamp_girl! So, you're working in a garden center! I did that the last two years and used the extra $$ to indulge myself...lol! Discounts are a good thing!

I hope you get lots of neat stuff!

Related Posts with Thumbnails