Gotta Garden

Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Addendum to Today's Finds

Only some four hours later, I was on my way out when the garden stopped me. Yes, that's right! I couldn't believe it. In those few hours, changes had occurred. Crocus that hadn't been open earlier were now open. February Gold decided not to wait until tomorrow:


On the other side of my driveway, (I had this clever (not) idea that I would plant crocus and iris reticulata on the edges of both sides of my driveway several years ago...unfortunately, one side of the driveway blooms....pause...and then the other side blooms...), a patch of crocus had burst into bloom:



If you look close, you can see that the buds really are popping right before our eyes:


Above me, my saucer magnolia has begun to open:


Closer:


Near the magnolia, another clump of Ice Follies began to open:


I noticed Sweet Harmony and Easter Bonnet daffodils are about to open as well.

Another new clump of crocus caught my eye...but what really drew me...the light was just right. Look how the colors jump out.


I think this may be the best picture ever (for me) of Iris h. Katherine Hodgkin. Look at the blue! It is really hard to capture and in bright sunlight tends to look pale and washed out...but not now!



I could even catch the pale lavender on this crocus:


I can't resist....the little iris reticulata 'Harmony' continue to open (I want a big bunch! Come on, guys!):


******
These pictures and those on the last post are all clickable.

7 comments:

Annie in Austin said...

Ahhhh - now this is the kind of spring I used to know - with beds full of tiny iris, crocus and daffodils. Capturing those beautiful blues is a real accomplishment.

Thank you for both of today's posts, Gotta Garden.

Annie at the Transplantable Rose

Dave Richards said...

Hey these are some amazing photos..thanks for sharing these with us...they capture the true color of spring...and well we also have Easter approaching pretty soon...so to enjoy some of the fun and spirit do drop by my blog on Easter Wishes and Greetings sometime and enjoy all that i've posted there!!!

Yolanda Elizabet Heuzen said...

Ok, admit it, you're showing off now. :-)

Lovely pics on both of your posts today. What fun all that colour in your garden all of a sudden! Buds popping like there was no tomorrow. ;-)

Love those very pretty and very true blue Irises. Excellent pic, well done GG.

The daffs are looking great too. They are such cheerful flowers, don't you think? And your magnolia is unfolding its beauty as well. Lucky you, to be able to enjoy all that beauty live from your own garden. :-)

Gotta Garden said...

Hi annie! Thank you! It really is beginning to feel like spring! I am used to walking twice a day around my garden with the daylilies, but I don't remember (maybe I've just forgotten) feeling the changes so quickly with spring...before. It may just have been the heat wave we're having after the cold.

Hello dave richards! Thank you, too. I will have to do that.

Why yolanda elizabet, surely you don't think so! Maybe it's a bit over the top, but, hey, isn't that why we blog? I would still take the pictures, but only those I might send them to would see them. This way...and one of the reasons I enjoy blogging...I am forced to do a bit more than just store them on the drive...and consider one day actually organizing them! It's garden journaling on the next level! I rather like it.

Unknown said...

I love these pics... and HOW have these tiny, gorgeous jewels of iris so far eluded my notice? I must rectify that immediately!

Carol Michel said...

I love your flowers, especially those really blue irises. I am guessing that they are probably just beyond the reach of my hardiness zone (5b), but I'm going to find out!

Gotta Garden said...

Yes, blackswamp_girl, you must have some...lol! They bloom so early and really help when you're wanting blooms...any blooms!

Oh, I hope not, carol...they bring a lot of joy in such a little bulb! Good luck!

Thanks, y'all, for coming over!

Related Posts with Thumbnails