Gotta Garden

Friday, March 02, 2007

Today's Finds

Another bloom opened on the double hellebore (any excuse to post a picture of this one):

IMG_2829 doubel 030207

Usually, the Cream Beauty Crocus are the first to bloom:

IMG_2857 cream beauty 030207

The Snowdrops (Galanthus Elwesii) by the Snowdrop bench have begun to bloom:

IMG_2842 030207 by bench in bloom

and on the other side of the bench:

IMG_2846 030207 on other side of bench

This is an interesting find. It is Sedum rupestre 'Angelina' with some winter color. The little patch either seeded itself or broke off from the mother pot (which has yet to be planted). The pot was here (which is in full sun) but I moved it to winter over with some other pots. This is not a bad self placement, actually:

IMG_2836 bonus angelina 030207  2

IMG_2832 030207 angelina in pot

Here is a mini pot ghetto (shame on me) ...all things that didn't get planted and worse, were left to fend for themselves over a very cold winter. They've held their own and will get well deserved spots this spring. If you look, you'll see a lavender (Hidcote), chamomile (which has even seeded itself out of the pots) and a Rosemary (Arp):

IMG_2852 mini pot ghetto 030207

The chamomile was (is) meant for a sunny area that would allow it to seed itself about (as it is quite good about doing...even under less than desirous circumstances). The lavender and rosemary were to replace varieties that I yanked out a couple years ago after they had gotten large and scraggly. I had several varieties of both lavender and rosemary and decided I needed the space for....daylilies, naturally. I didn't think, at the time, that I would miss them...but, I found I did. However, I don't need as much as I had and I thought just one plant each would be sufficient. Since they've rooted where they are, I am considering allowing them to keep the spot. It's sunny and not too far from the chives that I frequent. You gotta like plants with great survival instincts!

7 comments:

LadyLuz said...

Lovely to see your crocus. Reminds me of Spring in England.

It is far to warm here in the winter to sustain plants like crocus, daffodils, tulips. They flower for a day or two only.

Glad you enjoyed my veggies!

Yolanda Elizabet Heuzen said...

Lovely pics. I have to show friends of mine the pictures of your snowdrop bench. They're nuts about snowdrops so they will turn a nice shade of green when they see your pretty bench. ;-)

It's nice to see the little flowers come out and say hello, isn't it?
Finally some colour in the garden again!

Gotta Garden said...

Hi ladyluz! Things are just beginning here! Thanks! And, yes, those are the veggies of my dreams...lol!

Thanks for coming by!

Hey there yolanda elizabet! Well, in that case, I should take a photo where you can actually see the bench...lol! It's a tiny thing, but I do think it's rather cute. Hmmm, green, eh...well, they'll match the bench! (Hahaha)

Yes, hello is nice, but I'm ready for a big shout! Although, really, anticipation is half the fun...running out to see what is popping up (finally).

Unknown said...

I can't believe that your 'Arp' rosemary overwintered in the pot ghetto! That makes me feel emboldened to try it outside in my zone...

Gotta Garden said...

Hmmm, why not? I like a good challenge, don't you! I think I'd site it carefully, you know...south or west where it can get some reflected heat (like from the house?)...besides you'll want it close by. We got down to single digits this year (with no snow cover) and it was sitting out there in its pathetic little pot (sad)...it must be tougher than it's given credit for!

Really, though, I thought it would be toast. I've never been able to grow it successfully inside and I just didn't get it planted...no excuse. I thought that whole little group would be goners...that's why they were over there by themselves! I'm sure there's a lesson there...about not giving up and small sizes/packages!

Thanks for stopping by!

Domestic Goddess Ltd. said...

That double hellebore is stupendous. I just ordered some for my garden, and can't wait until they arrive. My gardening blog is new; I invite you to take a look at www.floribundajulie.blogspot.com. Your photos are really lovely... keep 'em coming!

Gotta Garden said...

Thanks! I will! Lol!

Related Posts with Thumbnails