Gotta Garden

Monday, March 19, 2007

Garden Education: Kathy Jentz on Top 10 Trees & Shrubs for Your Yard

The highlight of the Washington Home and Garden Show was hearing Kathy Jentz speak. Kathy is the editor of Washington Gardener Magazine. Attendees to her lecture received a free packet of seeds (I chose Broccoli) and the March/April 2006 issue of Washington Gardener Magazine containing an article on the topic.

Kathy discussed the trees and shrubs highlighted in the article one by one. They were chosen as appropriate for the Mid-Atlantic area and are considered favorites. The list is not comprehensive and certainly there are some others that are worthy as well. But, when you can only chose ten, you must stop somewhere!

Herewith, the ten that were discussed:

1. Japanese Maple Acer palmatum

2. Fringe Tree Chionanthus virginicus

3. Forest Pansy Redbud Cercis canadensis

4. Mountain Laurel Kalmia latifolia

5. Witch Hazel Hamamelia virginiana

6. Crape Myrtle Lagerstroemia indica

7. Dogwood Cornus Kousa 'wolf eyes'

8. Harry Lauder's Walking Stick (Corylus avellana 'Contorta')

9. Sweetbay Magnolia Magnolia virginiana

10. Oregon Grapeholly Mahonia aquifolium

Afterwards, Kathy answered questions from the audience. I must say, she really put the Garden in Home and Garden Show!

******

In addition to the magazine site, Kathy also has a blog where you can check out what she's up to and get additional information on the magazine.

4 comments:

Annie in Austin said...

That would be one beautiful, lavish garden, wouldn't it?
The crepe myrtles would be on our top ten, too.

Annie at the Transplantable Rose

Yolanda Elizabet Heuzen said...

It's nice to read that there was still a bit of garden in the home and garden thingy and that you enjoyed the lecture.

As soon as it's in leave I will put a piccie of my Japanese Maple on my blog. Such pretty trees and the colour of those leaves: beautiful!

BTW I likes the rainbow chairs and umbrella's and the cute bench.

A wildlife gardener said...

Fabulous photos of all your crocuses and daffodils. I loved the new orchid too, so many flowers on it. the exhibition was amazing...loved the jolly brollies, or maybe they were parasols. What an accomplished speaker you heard! As you can see I'm catching up with the blogs I missed.

Gotta Garden said...

Hi Annie: Yep! I like lists. It's interesting to see what is recommended vs what your personal experience is...and I'm always open to new suggestions.

For instance, I think Mountain Laurel is difficult...not something most people will have success with...likes a particular environment. And, I enjoy seeing H.L.'s walking stick...but I have no desire to grow one.

Anyway, it's just suggestions and I like to ponder these things.

As to crape/crepe myrtle...I am confused as to the spelling. My instincts go with the "e" because the other looks to much like crap to me...lol...but the magazine article used the "a" one...I looked on wikipedia and they say either, but then use the "a" throughout their article (obviously the preference of the submitter).

Anyway, I do go on...thanks for coming over!

YE, before I forget, did you see Mr. Glick's message to you?? He apologizes...

If I had the space...that's a collection I'd like to have for sure...love the Japanese Maples. There is this gorgeous one in a neighborhood near here. I think the original owner actually was a gardener as the garden it sits in was quite nice. The house has sold several times and the garden just sorta exists now...but the Japanese Maple...what a star!

Glad to see you!

Hi wildlife gardener! The orchid actually was only partially open, but now is in full glory. It is fragrant, too! I have no willpower...sigh.

I'm happy you dropped by!

Related Posts with Thumbnails