Gotta Garden

Monday, March 19, 2007

Garden Trips: Museum of Garden History

Time for a little tour....are you ready? Let's go to London! On a rainy afternoon, we stumbled upon the Garden History Museum. (All pictures clickable)



Situated in a former church, the museum was founded in 1977 to save the building from demolition. At first, I was a bit taken aback at it being in a church, but when you considered the alternative...

Located behind the church is a knot garden that was so wonderful my dh had to pull me away. It's a seventeenth century style knot garden so very appropriate as the garden contains the Tradescant family tomb. The Tradescants, father and son (John the elder and son John) hunted, collected and introduced many plants from around the globe. They were also gardeners to Charles I and II.

Fortunately, the rain let up just long enough for me to explore the knot garden and surrounds. I hope you'll find it as beautiful as I did and appreciate the loving care with which this garden is maintained.

Let's go inside:


Here's our first glimpse of the Knot Garden:


Closer (Isn't it lovely?):



Looking inside:


The memorial to Captain Bligh of the Bounty:


Herbs:





Plants for sale:



Knot Garden information (please excuse the mop handles...lol):




A look up at the church:



Well, it looks like the rain is going to start again. We'll have to go now.


Back into the London rain we go:


I hope you enjoyed it!

6 comments:

kate said...

I loved the knot garden complete with the Captain Bligh memorial ... you took great pics.

Gotta Garden said...

Why thanks, Kate! It was a very nice spot...one you could imagine being peaceful...if only it wasn't raining...lol!

Melanie Chopay said...

Thanks for the tour, your photos are just great! Wish I could have come along :-)

Melanie

Gotta Garden said...

Oh Melanie, you would have loved it! One day I would like to go back and see more!

Yolanda Elizabet Heuzen said...

GG, thank you for that lovely tour. I love knotgardens a lot, so it was really nice to see this one. Great pics, lovely church also!

Looking at your blog I have one burning question: when do you sleep? ;-)

Gotta Garden said...

YE, all will be answered very soon...lol! There's a method to my madness...I think!

Actually, I'm going to be gone...so, I was just trying to "clear my desk" so to say...except that I haven't...lol! I guess one never catches up.

Related Posts with Thumbnails